Hello (Hello),Hello!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
Npreadr

Hello (Hello),Hello!

Post by Npreadr » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 am

Hey everyone!

Glad I found this place. Nice to have some like minded individuals that appreciate assembly.

Around 2008 I became interested in game design and tried what every teenager did: hack a Pokémon ROM. Became acquainted with hexadecimal through hexeditors but nothing more since all the real work came down to coding (too overwhelming). I moved on and found myself studying game design in university and after that have since been doing more on the artist/music/design side of things.

The one thing I despised was how large files, specifically in games, can get. I'm very attracted to assembly for its efficiency and use of memory. I'm here to learn some things and understand what the old-school designers had to go through. I'm interested in the GameBoy/GameBoyColor and Sega Master System side of things. So far I've also started to enjoy learning Basic too for the CPC tutorials! Great stuff. I love this stuff. Excited to jump into things!

LD;DR : Here to learn assembly for GB/GBC, SMS and learn some others along the way.

akuyou

Re: Hello (Hello),Hello!

Post by akuyou » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Fascinating to read! you were a 'teen' in 2008? I'm guessing that makes you 10 years younger than me!

Never tried to hack a pokemon game, but I used to poke CPC games to change the names of characters or reprogram colors - I only got into ASM properly a couple of years ago.

I totally agree with your size comment! games are going crazy for size!

I've never programmed games commercially (unless you count my Iphone game that sold about 5 copies!)... all my 'programming' is web junk and access databases and the like, but I really love the 'simplicity of ASM - I love you can build things from the ground up from the simplest parts, I've also learned things about interrupts and processors that I'd never understood in all my years of programming!

Have fun on the forum!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Npreadr

Re: Hello (Hello),Hello!

Post by Npreadr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Yessir, it was my first year in high school! I can definitely say that I am the only one of my peers that is interested in assembly. I guess that's a natural consequence of more complex computing power over time and it not being taught at most universities anymore. But at any rate, I want to know how these machines think while learning to be as efficient as possible :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Return to “Introductions”