Decompiling Metal slug

Topics relating to the 68000 CPU in general, not a specific platform.
Miosaurio

Decompiling Metal slug

Post by Miosaurio » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:42 pm

I really don't know if this should go here but I was recommended to search in sites where the source code of the consoles is explored.

The thing is that for some time I've been wanting to decompile the metal slug saga of Arcade or console versions, it really doesn't matter, so I come to ask if it is possible if you could help me.

akuyou

Re: Decompiling Metal slug

Post by akuyou » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:28 pm

I did a quick google search and couldn't find any existing disassembled sources of Metal Slug

You could try and do one yourself with a program like cutter:
https://cutter.re/

I would warn you though, in my opinion / experience disassembling something is harder than writing it, what I'm saying is if you're not already skilled in assembly, the result is going to be a nightmare, you won't have any code comments or labels in the resulting disassembled source, and disassemblers often get mixed up between source code and blocks of data, which means there may be 'code' mistaken for byte data, and byte data converted to nonsense code.

Topic moved to 68000 assembly, as it's a perfectly valid question others may ask.
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Return to “General 68000 Assembly”