Questions about the book

Anything goes
Nephesh

Questions about the book

Post by Nephesh » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:17 pm

Hello,
I didn't know where else to post this but I'm curious about the book. I hope I don't come across as stupid or asking weird questions.
1. Does the book touch on game logic at all or is it simply an introduction, a taster for ASM programming?
2. What differences does the book have with the written tutorials on here?
3. Does the book simply touch on processors, or is there information in them about particular platforms (e.g. in terms of Z80 programming, is it just "general" Z80 stuff or does the book touch on particularities (e.g. MSX, Game Boy or Master System programming)?

Thanks.

akuyou

Re: Questions about the book

Post by akuyou » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:55 am

No, the book does not cover game logic or platform specifics.

The book is basically 3 examples from the simple series (hello world, Bitmap drawing, bitmap movement) on one platform (The simplest for each cpu), an introduction to the processor, and a description of each instruction in the processor, in the clearest way I know how to describe it.

There is also a chapter covering basic concepts and terminology, The content was turned into the 'basics' series here:
https://www.chibiakumas.com/z80/basics.php

I understand that's probably not what you're after, but there's no economical viability to something more specific, My second book covers 5 cpus - If I just covered one, and just one platform for that one cpu, I'd get probably 1/20th of the audience - and the second book hasn't sold enough to reach it's break even point in it's first year.

Covering all the Z80 platforms effectively in a single book would be an impossible job, Just covering say the MSX would take a full book on it's own to do a viable job.

The books don't try to 'redo' what the web tutorials do - My hope was to gain a big enough audience to my youtube channel to 'redo' them to a more robust and professional standard (possibly as a book or a whole new website - that's why I bought learnasm.net) - but the audience just isn't there to make that possible.

I made a video discussing the book content here:
https://youtu.be/lfIgG2WbmGw
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Nephesh

Re: Questions about the book

Post by Nephesh » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:14 pm

akuyou wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:55 am No, the book does not cover game logic or platform specifics.

The book is basically 3 examples from the simple series (hello world, Bitmap drawing, bitmap movement) on one platform (The simplest for each cpu), an introduction to the processor, and a description of each instruction in the processor, in the clearest way I know how to describe it.

There is also a chapter covering basic concepts and terminology, The content was turned into the 'basics' series here:
https://www.chibiakumas.com/z80/basics.php

I understand that's probably not what you're after, but there's no economical viability to something more specific, My second book covers 5 cpus - If I just covered one, and just one platform for that one cpu, I'd get probably 1/20th of the audience - and the second book hasn't sold enough to reach it's break even point in it's first year.

Covering all the Z80 platforms effectively in a single book would be an impossible job, Just covering say the MSX would take a full book on it's own to do a viable job.

The books don't try to 'redo' what the web tutorials do - My hope was to gain a big enough audience to my youtube channel to 'redo' them to a more robust and professional standard (possibly as a book or a whole new website - that's why I bought learnasm.net) - but the audience just isn't there to make that possible.

I made a video discussing the book content here:
https://youtu.be/lfIgG2WbmGw
Thank you so much for the varied and to the point reply, Keith!

Return to “General Off topic”