A port of TimePilot for Atari XL/XE

Made something in Assembly? Show it off, and tell us how it works...
Absolute beginners welcome... we want to see what you've done!
Forum rules
There is a special rule on this forum...
This forum is intended to offer equal amounts encouragement and constructive feedback...
Therefore, if you say 2 negative things about someones work, you must think of 2 or more equally positive things...

Eg: "Great first effort, the idea is absolutely fascinating... However I noticed a few bugs, and maybe the graphics could be improved..."

If you can't think of anything good to say, then don't say anything!

If we don't encourage newbie programmers they won't have the confidence and motivation to stick at it and become great programmers! *speaking from experience*
laoong

A port of TimePilot for Atari XL/XE

Post by laoong » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi,
I follow this site and youtube channel for a while and ChibiAkumas, you are doing great job on spreading the interest in assembler programming of retro-machines!
I thought that I'll share some code of myself and my friend. It is publicly available actually but I hope that it's not the point to only premiere the projects here or to post only current projects, as we finished the game a year ago.
So here are the sources of our Atari XL/XE port of arcade classic Time Pilot:

https://github.com/laoo/TimePilot

It's pure 6502 running stock Atari. It can be compiled using great MADS 6502 assembler. Maybe I'll add that it has some decent software sprite engine drawing in Atari's 5-colour tile-based graphics mode. It's obviously not the fastest possible but I'm proud of making it all run in 64 kB of RAM.

Cheers and hope you'll all like it.
laoo

akuyou

Re: A port of TimePilot for Atari XL/XE

Post by akuyou » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am

That's great!
I'm not really that skilled with the Atari 8 bits, but what you've done here looks like you've pushed the hardware really hard.

Of course you're welcome to show off older projects, (1 year is hardly old anyway) And especially if the source is available - that's something others can learn from!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

tricky

Re: A port of TimePilot for Atari XL/XE

Post by tricky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:06 pm

I was looking at this a while ago, great work.

Return to “Show and Tell”