Starting the ball rolling!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
akuyou

Starting the ball rolling!

Post by akuyou » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:21 am

Hello, Let me introduce myself!

I'm Keith, the author of ChibiAkumas... I started learning assembly around 3 years ago... I grew up with the Amstrad CPC, but I never managed to do any real assembly programming, so I started having a go, and ChibiAkumas was the result!

I find Assembly far more enjoyable than C++ or similar as a hobby, High level languages always seem to rely on lots of add ons and libraries, and it's really those libraries you need to learn not the language itself...

By using assembly you can learn a relatively small number of commands, and then write the libraries yourself - and learn lots about low level computing along the way... it really lets you look at the old computers we know in a different light!

I started with the CPC and Z80, but these days I'm really trying to expand out as far as I have time to, through 6502,65816 - and all the way up to 8086 and ARM... but I only want to do ASM on systems I can have a high level of control of... when you need to start using high level languages, the interest is gone for me.

I hope I can bring ASM to more people, and convince them it's not as hard as some elitist types make out!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Return to “Introductions”