Hi

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
ryu

Hi

Post by ryu » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Hey,

my story isn't anything grand. I grew up with classic console hardware (Mega Drive, SNES, GB etc. ...). Webdev got me into programming at first, but I kept pushing myself into gamedev. Being entirely self-taught it took a bit but I'm finally there. Have been working on a game engine in C and recently read a book on x86 assembly to broaden my horizons - and noticed that I had surprisingly little problems understanding the code. That gave me the motivation to research development for the Mega Drive and here I am now.

It's surprising how many resources there are for retro development today!

akuyou

Re: Hi

Post by akuyou » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks for your story!
I only got into ASM over the last few years, I was a basic programmer in my younger years, moving to C / C# more recently.

I'm learning x86 ASM more recently (8086) it doesn't look too hard, but I can't claim to be an expert.

the Genesis/Megadrive seems like a great system to me, far easier than the SNES, and simpler than the NeoGeo without all the pesky roms!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Return to “Introductions”