Another noob on the pile!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
Kitsune Mifune

Another noob on the pile!

Post by Kitsune Mifune » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am

Hi folks!

Been dabbling in Z80 assembly for a few months on and off. Still very (VERY) much a noob and of course I'm running into problems all the time. I'm on the CPC Forum too, but I'm always looking for different perspectives.

In the last two weeks I've take on a project which is fairly ambitious for the level I'm at, and that's a small demo/remake of Final Fight on the Amstrad 6128. The original port was pretty cack, but I'm sure with a few animation changes and better hitboxes it'll play ok, even if it's still slow.

Absolutely not doing the whole game! Just one stage with one player and one enemy as a proof of concept. I've redrawn all the sprites by hand in Paint shop Pro then converted them using AkuSprite Editor (cheers for that!) , and I'm going to use Arkos Tracker 2 to do the music and sound effects.

At the moment, the "game" just has a title screen which leads into a character select screen on pushing "fire", then onto the game, which is just a blank screen and the player (Haggar) who can walk around and punch. That's it so far. I'm using the dreaded firmware too, which is something I want to get shot of a soon as possible.

I'm fairly confident I can get this working the more I learn about the language, but I'll definitely need a bit of help just understanding how things work within the assembler.

I've dabbled in Game Maker's GML where I've done some beat 'em ups, plus my own original action platform game demo called "The Legend of Kitsune Mifune" (which I also composed the music for). I've also tried Amos Basic on the Amiga where I managed a small one screen but working Double Dragon demo. I'll link the YouTube videos below if anyone wants a look.

This is my first shot at the dark arts of assembly though, but things seem to be getting a little clearer every day.

Tally-ho!

I'm using Windows 7 with Winape 2.0

Kitsune Mifune Game Maker demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjBrRMTxF4&t=2s
Double Dragon Amiga demo 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPfS08TW9qg
Double Dragon Amiga Grab demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ztPTT8_CvM
Programming: 90% failures, 10% victories, and 100% hair loss!

akuyou

Re: Another noob on the pile!

Post by akuyou » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Welcom to the forum!... Sounds like a fun project you have there!

Please feel free to post some info and or a screenshot in the Show and Tell... I'm running a little competition anyone who posts their project has the chance to win a Tshirt in a week or so! (Nov 1st)... so you still have time!
https://www.chibiakumas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24

I always used to take on little things like this (in basic - with a ASM sprite routine)
I was trying to write Street Fighter 2 at one point - but I didn't get far of course!... I look forward to seeing your project!

Don't worry too much about using the firmware a this stage, you'll get the hang of ASM and soon realize how you can do things better without it... I'm glad you're finding AkuSprite Editor useful... If you have any suggestions let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I'm really glad to hear you're having fun programming in new languages, I hope you learn something you find 'enlightening' - I never thought I'd find Z80 or general assembly as interesting as I did!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Kitsune Mifune

Re: Another noob on the pile!

Post by Kitsune Mifune » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Keith.

Assembly of any kind has always been a bucket list thing for me. Doing stuff in Game Maker or modern languages that "looked" like it was from back in the day was fun, but it always felt like cheating. Overcoming the limitations of the hardware like all those crazy Japanese programmers did in the 80s and 90s is the part that appeals to me.

That and just making a game (or a demo) for an old system will be a personal triumph.

And yes, I'll probably post some videos and pictures of progress quite shortly. There's not much to see at the moment though, but I have a decent start.

Also, I'm not surprised you didn't get far with SF2. I'm sure you have more than enough skill to pull it off, but that game must have some crazy amount of variables for all the various attacks and reactions for each character to interact with each another and I can see how it could be tedious to set up and a nightmare to find bugs.

Thanks again for your help, and for doing the lessons and setting up this forum!
Programming: 90% failures, 10% victories, and 100% hair loss!

Return to “Introductions”