Hello from NL!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
Voyager_sput

Hello from NL!

Post by Voyager_sput » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:44 am

Hello everyone!

I'm Marc from the land of the tulips, windmills and legalized cannabis... or that's what the rest of the world thinks of us dutchies anyway. Contrary to popular believe; there's some tulips (mostly around 1 city), only a few windmills left and while there is a grey area in the buying of small amounts of cannabis, the vast majority of us have never touched the stuff :)

Anyway, my first computer adventures were already on a x86 system with a hard disk, but I did have the joy of playing with 5.25 inch floppy's, and frustration over why some 3.5 inch hard case diskettes wouldn't do anything in my pc ones we got one of those drives (I didn't have a clue about the difference between DD and HD diskettes back then :) ).

I toyed around with QBASIC for a few years , and later Visual Basic 6.0. When it was time to choose a profession at school I selected IT service management. I also did a second education for programming (C#.NET) given my interest in Visual Basic however I soon realized that while it's fun to program, doing so 8 hours a day, 5 days a week wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

As such I started working in IT support, and worked my way up to Support team manager, Senior engineer and now i'm the IT Infrastructure manager, responsible for all technical IT in our company (while I do still chip in on the technical part on a daily basis). I do support some of our websites and portals as a side task in PHP/MYSQL/CSS and Javascript.

Assembly was something I never had to deal with but through YouTube video's I became interested in the old systems of the early 1980's such as Commodore machines and eventually bought a Apple 1 replica kit to play around with the the basics of the 6502 CPU. Looking through the web for help in getting started with Assembly (just to see if I could get a grasp on it) I stumbled upon ChibiAkumas and have been programming off and on for the 6502 every since.

The tutorials for the basics and all these different systems helped out greatly, as well as actually being able to download the example code, workspace, assembler and emulators without having to painstakingly try to make a tool chain work by myself!

I'm very interested in some of these 'hobby' project that hope to bring back retro pc's and of course what kind of creative solutions people will come up with!

Return to “Introductions”