Hello from a Lynx fan!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
NewAtThis

Hello from a Lynx fan!

Post by NewAtThis » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:12 am

Hello! I'm very excited to be taking the 6502 tutorial. I've gone through episodes 1 and 2 on Youtube, and I've done the exercises on my own computer. The development package is working beautifully. Thank you so much for putting all this together.

I did some assembly back in college 20-some years ago, and I enjoyed it. But then I moved away from it and have done some Perl programming for my job, but no assembly. But now I'm excited about programming for the Atari Lynx, and this seemed like an excellent way to get back into assembly.

So towards that, a question: If I do all the general 6502 lessons, and then I do the Lynx lessons, will that be enough that I can start writing basic games for the Lynx? Or will I need to find a bigger dedicated Lynx tutorial elsewhere to continue my learning?

And again, thank you for your lessons. So far, lessons 1 and 2 have been well thought-out and easy to follow.

-Steven

akuyou

Re: Hello from a Lynx fan!

Post by akuyou » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:48 am

I'm hoping that if you cover the 6502 and my Lynx tutorials that should be enough!... of course you should definitely try looking else where, as other people may do a better job of explaining things, or their style may suit you better.

My tutorials only cover the basics, so you may need to look elsewhere for something more, but hopefully I can get you started.

When you get through the 6502 basics, Take a look at 'Yquest' or my older 'Grime 6502' - they both were little games released on the Lynx, so you can use those as a 'template' (or the 'Simple Joypad' lynx example - which Yquest was based upon)

All my games and sample code is free to use in any way you wish - so if anything I've written is useful to you in your game making, please go ahead and use it.

Good luck with the game making!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

NewAtThis

Re: Hello from a Lynx fan!

Post by NewAtThis » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Wow, that's excellent. I'm enjoying the tutorials, and I'll keep at it! Thank you!

Return to “Introductions”