Hi everyone!

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
Jabberwocky

Hi everyone!

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:18 am

Hi all!

I'm an unemployed Canadian guy and decided to learn some assembly in my spare time. I started on a website dedicated to the Sega Master System, but figured it wouldn't hurt to learn from a few people and found Keith's YouTube tutorials, and then the website obviously! I'm certainly new, but I did manage to figure out with minimal help how to work the scroll registers and controllers on that console, and looking forward to learning more. Glad there's a community devoted to learning (and teaching) this stuff. It's pretty fun so far!

akuyou

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by akuyou » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 am

Hello there, and welcome!

So you're looking at the SMS eh? that's my second favorite system behind the CPC, so i'd say it's an excellent choice!

Of course I'm sure you're just playing around right now, but do you have any project you're aiming to make?

Hope you find the tutorials useful, and more importantly.. have fun!
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Jabberwocky

Re: Hi everyone!

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:52 pm

Thanks!

I had an NES growing up like everyone else here, but we also bought a used SMS off of a friend that we had for a while. After finding out much more recently it's technically a more powerful console, enhancement chips aside, I figured it would be a great place to start.

As far as projects, I have a few loose ideas in mind, but right now, I'm just learning to tinker. I was thinking of later learning 6502/NES, and then trying to port a game to the SMS that hasn't been done. Other than that, since I'm an amateur musician, perhaps upgrade some of my favourite games to use the FM sound chip (or one of various enhancement chips available in the case of the NES).

A lot of that is, of course, some ways away, but it's something to aim for. After being very comfortable in Z80 & 6502, I'll also likely go to tackle ARM, as that should be really useful going forward.

Return to “Introductions”