Floating point arithmetic tutorial

Posts about Z80 programming that do not relate to a particular computer
Blake

Floating point arithmetic tutorial

Post by Blake » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:53 am

I really enjoy your series about assembly programming and I started (again) programming assembly on my MSX1. The videos make it so much more clear than what I could study from the books back in the 80s, when I was still a young boy.

One thing I could never wrap my head around is how to use floating point arithmetic in asm. I found a library online that has implemented 3 types of floating point standards. But even then it is hard for me to get started with it.

https://github.com/DW0RKiN/Floating-poi ... ry-for-Z80

I would love to see a video tutorial where Keith is showing e.g. how a matrix of floating point values in memory is multiplied / subtracted or added with other values. Or in general show how to do something like y = f(x), where x is somewhere stored in memory.

Many thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Blake

akuyou

Re: Floating point arithmetic tutorial

Post by akuyou » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am

I'm afraid this isn't a topic I'll ever cover.

I'm no great mathematician, so it's tough for me to get my head around, and I have no personal use for it in my hobbies, as I focus on games.

I'll leave that one for someone else to make tutorials on.
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Blake

Post by Blake » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:23 pm

That is a pity, but I understand.

Your tutorials are the best around and your book is great. I'm learning slow but keep pushing. All the best to you.

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:45 am

Blake, I wrote my own floating point arithmetic code years ago back in the 1980s for the z80 and I do not think it is hard do once you get into it.To write your own floating point routines start with floating point addition use that to build floating point multiplication/subtraction and then that to build floating point division. I would not start with that library on github. And agreed this site is best for different tutorial for assemblies I do not know.

Return to “General Z80 Programming”