Sound player with synced VU meters

Made something in Assembly? Show it off, and tell us how it works...
Absolute beginners welcome... we want to see what you've done!
Forum rules
There is a special rule on this forum...
This forum is intended to offer equal amounts encouragement and constructive feedback...
Therefore, if you say 2 negative things about someones work, you must think of 2 or more equally positive things...

Eg: "Great first effort, the idea is absolutely fascinating... However I noticed a few bugs, and maybe the graphics could be improved..."

If you can't think of anything good to say, then don't say anything!

If we don't encourage newbie programmers they won't have the confidence and motivation to stick at it and become great programmers! *speaking from experience*
Post Reply
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 am

Sound player with synced VU meters

Post by CurlyPaul » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:05 am

Yeah it's that tune, in my defence I'd completely forgotten about the annoying frog, and was thinking of the very classy recording that was used the film.

Anyways.. just wanted to get to grips with playing sounds and in particular music. I generated that with Arkos Tracker and used their AKG player to use it in my program.

Now, in order to get the bars to sync, I couldn't quite grok the Arkos player well enough to be able to predict what notes it's going to be playing next. I tried reading the volume levels back out of the AY, but then I'm always a frame or two behind as I can't draw the VU's fast enough. In the end I created a tool that allowed me to capture the volume levels in a separate file so I could predict where the volume was going to be in a frame's time. This works, but it's a rather lengthy manual step in the build chain, and it's not very space efficient. I'm sure that with better knowledge the player working I could determine where it was in the song and read ahead.

I used the EventTrack in Arkos to time when to change between 1, 2 and 4 VU's on the screen, which will mean a fair amount of manually fiddling with it were I to do the entire song in this way.

As always, my code is on github and comments are welcome. Lot's of unfurling and DRY went out the window as well in order to keep the music at a constant pace. Having no buffer as such, you need to keep calling the play routine regulary.

Think this is my last project using WinApe though, the text editor was starting to become very annoying, and Arkos outputs RASM, which can be converted, but the conversion tool made it pretty hard to follow.

Post Reply

Return to “Show and Tell”