Spectrum reverse engineering tool

Posts relating to ZX Spectrum (and clones)... also Spectrum NEXT
crabfists

Spectrum reverse engineering tool

Post by crabfists » Fri May 19, 2023 3:30 pm

Hi,

People might be interested in a game reverse engineering tool that my friend has created. It currently supports the ZX Spectrum but is being ported to work on the Amstrad CPC. It could potentially be used as a learning tool to help understand how the Spectrum works. Try loading up a game and poking around. You can add comments to the disassembly once you figure out how bits of code work. The tool is designed to be interactive. It's quite fun when you get into it. 8-)

It has tools built in to help you locate different parts of the code. For example, it can tell you where the graphics code is, or the code that reads the keyboard/joystick is, or the code that produces audio etc.. It also has a built in graphics viewer to help you view the graphics in memory.

See here for more details.
https://colourclash.co.uk/spectrum-analyser/

I also wanted to say thank you to @akuyou for all the tutorials. :mrgreen: They have been amazingly helpful in helping me understand how some of these old machines work. Thank you Keith for all the work you put into them.

akuyou

Re: Spectrum reverse engineering tool

Post by akuyou » Fri May 19, 2023 11:50 pm

That looks like a fantastic tool for people looking to understand what's going on in a game, or for debugging their own projects when they aren't doing what was expected!

I used the Winape tool to do similar things when I was learning on the CPC, though it's possible that this tool gives even more functionality for the speccy!

Great stuff.
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Return to “ZX Spectrum Assembly Programming”