Hi retired Engineer from Japan

Say Hello... tell us your what you know, and what you're interested in learning!
Forum rules
Please say hello... tell us what systems & CPU's you can program, and what you're interested in learning!
rot-N

Hi retired Engineer from Japan

Post by rot-N » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:55 pm

Hello to All

I am rot-N, Retired Engineer living in Japan.

In middle to the end of '80 , as my hobby , I used Fujitsu FM-7 , FM77AV (CPU is 6809) and programmed with BASE09 assembler with Carry-DOS . These days, I confirmed that imaged Carry-DOS running on the FM-7 Emulator .
[youtube]https://youtu.be/sNGqkFRLDPM?si=Agt5ingkFuUz8e7R[/youtube]

And then I happenly found PC-8801 version Carry-DOS , SuperBASE80 assembler and the debugger for BASE in the game FD image as the buried treasure in the internet in these weeks . I salvaged these treasures from game floppy then placed them to the right place of the other floppy , and in my pleasure , they looks work fine .

May be , I will enjoy BASE style assembler programming .

akuyou

Re: Hi retired Engineer from Japan

Post by akuyou » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:24 pm

Hello there! Thanks for signing up!
I'm very interested to hear you've used the FM7, and more specifically the FM77AV!

I never heard of either of these until the last few years, and While I've been able to find PDFs or print copies of old programming manuals on the FM7, I've not been able to find anything substantial on the FM77.

I was able to buy a couple of FM77 books (which I scanned and put on archive.org), but they really only covered basic not assembly programming.

From a few notes on the FM77 I found online websites, I was able to turn on it's enhanced graphics, and 'Poke' a few bytes into video memory, but I could not figure out if the FM77 ROM was capable of drawing using the extended features in the same way as it could with the classic FM7

I'd be interested in hearing more on your thoughts / experiences on the FM77, as it's an impressive machine that seems to have been mostly forgotten

Many thanks,
Keith
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

rot-N

Re: Hi retired Engineer from Japan

Post by rot-N » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:56 am

Hello Keith san

Thank you for replying me. About FM77AV , there is less information about this machine.
May be my memories are right or not , not sure sorry , FM77AV was FM-7 upward compatible and FM-7 has enough specs for make similar games , in those era , same as a game for PC-88 and Sharp X1. The market for the game that use the special function for FM77AV was too small , so the makers use almost same to PC88 and X1s screen . (of course, I know , that like AMNORK and Space-Harrier for FM77AV , there are some makers that uses the special functions for FM77AV but almost games are for FM-7 , and unfortunately the games using beautiful graphics begin moving to X68 ) .
Perhaps because of that reason, it is hard to get information of FM77AV.
By the way the best book I know is 'FM-Techknow' published by BNN. It is best technical book to write a program for FM77AV , but unfortunately it is hard to find in the old book market.

Addition, machines history was FM-8 -> FM-7 -> FM-New7 -> FM-77 -> FM77AV

Return to “Introductions”