A port of ChibiAkumas to Elektronika MS-0511

Made something in Assembly? Show it off, and tell us how it works...
Absolute beginners welcome... we want to see what you've done!
Forum rules
There is a special rule on this forum...
This forum is intended to offer equal amounts encouragement and constructive feedback...
Therefore, if you say 2 negative things about someones work, you must think of 2 or more equally positive things...

Eg: "Great first effort, the idea is absolutely fascinating... However I noticed a few bugs, and maybe the graphics could be improved..."

If you can't think of anything good to say, then don't say anything!

If we don't encourage newbie programmers they won't have the confidence and motivation to stick at it and become great programmers! *speaking from experience*
aberrant_hacker

A port of ChibiAkumas to Elektronika MS-0511

Post by aberrant_hacker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:51 pm

Inspired by port of game Highway Encounter to the Elektronika MS-0511(UKNC) I wanted to port some classic game to the machine too.

After some research, it was clear that the best video mode to use is 4-color and 320 pixels per line.
Then after some more research, I concluded that I should choose a game made for Amstrad CPC.

At first, I wanted to port Dizzy 3, started to learn Z80 assembler, and began to disassemble the game.
Eventually, I stumbled upon ChibiAkumas with all the tutorials, open-source, cool graphics, and all its greatness))

Right now I'm working on the port of ChibiAkumas to the UKNC.
It's not doing much at the moment, it just shows a loading screen. But I passed the point where I didn't know where to start.
So expect the ChibiAkumas to run even on some obscure Soviet micro)))
Last edited by aberrant_hacker on Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsune Mifune

Re: A port of ChibiAkumas to Elektronika MS-0511

Post by Kitsune Mifune » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:04 pm

I'm sure Keith will be thrilled that you've targeted his game to convert as I can imagine that it's a big honour, and having the original programmer on hand will be a huge boon to your own development.

I look forward to seeing updates on this conversion, because it will be great for comparisons and of course, learning for noobs like myself.

Good luck with the project! :)
Programming: 90% failures, 10% victories, and 100% hair loss!

akuyou

Re: A port of ChibiAkumas to Elektronika MS-0511

Post by akuyou » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:36 am

Yes, I'm absolutely amazed anyone would attempt to port my little game to such a different system.

Chibiakumas was designed around the Z80 - I would never consider attempting to port it to another CPU, so I'm humbled someone would consider trying such a tough project.

Needless to say, if the project is a success, I'll be only too happy to link and promote it on my website.
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Return to “Show and Tell”