Loading a bitmap from file

Posts about Z80 programming that do not relate to a particular computer
khobar

Loading a bitmap from file

Post by khobar » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:21 am

I am new to Z80 assembly, though I do have a rusty background in 8031/51 and 8088 assembly.

Back in 1983, I had a Camputers Lynx, and I managed to write a BASIC space game that ultimately was sold. All these years later, with some help, I was able to recover most of the original BASIC file. That got me thinking - what if and what could have been. The game was extremely simplistic, but I'm curious to see if I could do anything with it to enhance it.

I know the Lynx graphics were weird - so, I'm thinking maybe I could try to figure things out on the Amstrad CPC64 emulator using WinApe, and then try coding for the Lynx? Does that make sense?

The first thing that came to mind is to incorporate a "splash" screen of some sort. I've downloaded Akusprite editor, imported the original artwork, resized, and exported as .raw. And that's where I'm at now.

I've seen examples where the splash screen is loaded while the program is loaded, with the border flashing different colors and the splash screen loading a few lines at a time?

Anyway, that's my idea for the moment. Would love some feedback. Thanks!

Return to “General Z80 Programming”