Final Fight CPC (VERY early demo video)

Made something in Assembly? Show it off, and tell us how it works...
Absolute beginners welcome... we want to see what you've done!
Forum rules
There is a special rule on this forum...
This forum is intended to offer equal amounts encouragement and constructive feedback...
Therefore, if you say 2 negative things about someones work, you must think of 2 or more equally positive things...

Eg: "Great first effort, the idea is absolutely fascinating... However I noticed a few bugs, and maybe the graphics could be improved..."

If you can't think of anything good to say, then don't say anything!

If we don't encourage newbie programmers they won't have the confidence and motivation to stick at it and become great programmers! *speaking from experience*
Kitsune Mifune

Final Fight CPC (VERY early demo video)

Post by Kitsune Mifune » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:21 pm

There's really not much to see, and it's incredibly messy (and wasteful of memory), but I thought I'd better post something at least. I've added some annotations to the video to very basically summarise what's going on (or still to be implemented) in the code.

I realise things are going to get a LOT slower later down the line, but I'm prepared for that.

Anyway, cheers! :)

Extra info:
- Uses cursor keys and "A" - Spin move", "S" - Punch", and "D" - Jumpkick, for the moves.
- Attack moves take priority over walking movement when pushed.
- A "Disable Keypress" function is implemented to let attack animations run their course before a key press is read again.
- Screens have their own palettes which is read via comparisons from a function ( I think it's sort of a look up table, but probably not).
- No screen boundaries set just yet, but I think I know how to do that.
- No X-Flipping/Sprite mirroring implemented yet.

Programming: 90% failures, 10% victories, and 100% hair loss!

akuyou

Re: Final Fight CPC (VERY early demo video)

Post by akuyou » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm

That looks great! The animation is fantastic, and the sprites don't look like they've suffered from recoloring/resizing.

Things will certainly get slower when you add backgrounds and other sprites, music etc, but they'll also get faster as you learn better ways to code things - so I wouldn't worry at this stage.

Great work, keep it up! I look forward to seeing it progress
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

Kitsune Mifune

Post by Kitsune Mifune » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks Keith!

The sprites were done by hand, and I just used screen grabs of the old messy Amstrad sprites for a size and palette reference. I tried resizing the arcade sprites but I didn't like the results when I adapted them to a Mode 0 look. Took me ages though, and I should have maybe just use a sprite sheet from the SNES as they're comparable in size, but I'll probably do that for the enemies.

The animation is actually running a bit fast at the moment to what I'd like, but that'll give me a margin for boosting speed later on when all the other stuff is happening. Also, I've still to do things like split the walk sprite into upper and lower halves to save memory (plus get rid of the firmware calls which I'm sure will be slowing things up).

Anyway, cheers for the feedback!
Programming: 90% failures, 10% victories, and 100% hair loss!

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Nice work Kitsune, especially considering the arcade original. Does the CPC have a chip for sprites like the C64 or "software" like the Spectrum?

akuyou

Post by akuyou » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 am

The regular CPC here is a 'speccy style' software sprite system.

The CPC+ has hardware sprites, however they cannot be multiplexed like the C64, you can move them during the redraw, but cannot change the bitmap they show...

ChibiAkumas Ep2 worked around this, showing the Heart and Scroll icons for player 1 on the left, and player two on the right, but they were swapped over - effectively using 6 hardware sprites to show 12 icons onscreen
t.png
t.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 4971 times
Chibi Akuma(s) Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter! // 「チビ悪魔」可笑しいゴシックSTG ! // Work in Progress: ChibiAliens

Interested in CPU's :Z80,6502,68000,6809,ARM,8086,RISC-V
Learning: 65816,ARM,8086,6809

SamusDrake

Post by SamusDrake » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 am

Very efficient, Keith. 8-)

Return to “Show and Tell”