|Grime is an old DOS game I used to have on my PC XT... it was a simple little text game, that was a lot of fun!
Grime was written by Mark Elendt... as far as I remember I got it from an old magazine coverdisk...
currently Grime is 'abandonware'... no one seems to really remember it, and it's trickyto get working on a modern pc, as it runs too fast!!.. you can get the orignal here
At the start of July 2018, I started a 7 day programming project to recreate 'Grime' as a Z80 based game... I chose it because it's fun and simple, and this gave me a good opportinity... I wasn't just going to remake Grime... I was going to make it work on 11 different systems!
Let me explain... I have remade a new ASM sourcecode for 'Grime Z80' which uses one piece of logic code that plays on 11 different Z80 systems... namely: Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum,MSX1, MSX2, Enterprise, Sam Coupe, TI-83 calculator, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Sega Mastersystem and Sega Gamegear!
Appart from the result being a reasonably fun and playable game, it's opensource, and my intention is it can act as a learning tool, and a 'template' for others trying to quickly make simple games, that work on many different systems!... each day I recorded a 'blog' video, reporting the progress in realtime to my patreons!
Now the game, source and videos are available to all, so what are you waiting for... download GrimeZ80 now, and check it out!
Download Grime Z80
Grime Z80 was a quick programming experiment, not a commercial quality game, it has NOT been tested on real hadware, and may not work.
It was produced as an educational challenge during my week off, and I do not intend to spend any more time on it... if it does not work on your hardware, you can concider it 'homework' to fix the bugs!
Watch the Grime Z80 videos!
0. Grime Z80 - coming soon to a computer (or console) near you!
1. Grime Z80 - Episode 1 : Multiplatform development on 11 different systems!
2. Grime Z80 - Episode 2 : Moving cursor, color tiles and beeps!
3. Grime Z80 - Episode 3 : Bring on the Grime! (and bullets)
4. Grime Z80 - Episode 4 : Now actually playable!
5. Grime Z80 - Episode 5 : Titlescreen and gameover animations!
6. Grime Z80 - Episode 6 : Animations and, TI tweaks, improved palette code
7. Grime Z80 - Episode 7 : And It's done!
8. Grime - Completed project code summary
|Amstrad CPC||ZX Spectrum||Sam Coupe||Enterprise|
|MSX1||MSX2||Sega Mastersystem||Sega GameGear|